Yes, you can eat too many mushrooms and cause digestive distress from too much fiber or vitamin D toxicity.
Eating too many mushrooms can also lead to niacin or B vitamin toxicity however this is less likely to occur as you’d have to eat a very large amount of mushrooms to achieve this.
If you eat, for example, 10 cups of mushrooms in one day, you can easily exceed the daily recommended amounts of fiber and vitamins.
If you eat too much fiber, you may begin to feel the side effects of this such as bloating, constipation and stomach pain.
Eating too much fiber wouldn’t cause too much harm or make you ill aside from those side effects, which can be very uncomfortable.
If you have digestive issues or distress, consuming too much fiber could make things a lot worse.
B vitamins can often be found in rich vitamins in mushrooms however they are water soluble.
If you do end up consuming large amounts of mushrooms, you’ll have excess amounts of B vitamins in your body but as they’re water soluble they’ll be extreed in your urine and not stay in your body.
Consuming high amounts of B vitamins however can cause problems, having over 200 milligrams a day can cause nerve toxicity – although that means you need to eat around 90 cups of mushrooms!
Another nutrient found in mushrooms is niacin, when over 3,000 milligrams is consumed in one day, can cause liver issues.
However, as long as you’re not planning to eat a 100 cups of mushrooms everyday, you should be fine.
Mushrooms exposed to UV light contain high amounts of vitamin D, having over 60,000 IU of vitamin D puts you in a danger zone.
Although you’ll have to consume around 24 cups of portobello mushrooms to reach this amount.
Eating toxic amounts of vitamin D can cause effects such as vomiting, and even lead to kidney issues.
Mushrooms past sell by date
Whole mushrooms can be stored for 7-10 days in the fridge.
Sliced, fresh mushrooms can stay in the fridge for 5-7 days. Dried mushrooms can be stored for 2-3 years.
Most mushrooms don’t have a sell-by date as they’re fresh produce however there are some guidelines to follow to help you figure out how long mushrooms are good for.
Mushrooms do need to be stored correctly, if they aren’t, you run the risk of them going bad much quicker.
If stored in the fridge, whole mushrooms tend to stay good for around 7-10 days.
Whole mushrooms tend to last a bit longer than sliced mushrooms as their exposed surface is smaller.
If sliced, fresh mushrooms are good in the fridge for 5-7 days.
If you store them after cooking, they can be stored in the fridge for 7-10 days.
Dried mushrooms last for much longer and can be stored for around 2-3 years, in a cold, dark, and dry place.
You can usually tell if mushrooms have gone bad as they begin to get slimy and darken.
Once this begins, you should get rid of them.
If you do want to try and preserve them, you can cook them as soon as these signs begin to appear.
This helps to extend their shelf for at a least a few more days.
If the mushroom has gone completely bad and turned mushy, you should not consume it as it has most likely begun to grow mold.
How long are mushrooms good after packed date?
Mushrooms are good for around 7-10 days in the fridge, if whole.
If sliced, mushrooms last around a week.
Storing the mushrooms correctly and keeping them as cool and dry as possible can allow mushrooms to last for up to two weeks in the fridge.
As mushrooms are fresh produce, many places won’t provide a packed date however some places might.
If this is the case, you should adhere to any other dates mentioned on the packet such as an expiry date.
If there isn’t one, there are some good guidelines to follow to ensure you don’t consume mushrooms that have gone off.
As a general rule, mushrooms are good in the fridge for around 7-10 days.
If the mushrooms are sliced, their shelf life is a little shorter at around 5-7 days in the fridge.
Most mushrooms will last a decent two weeks after their packed date, but you should definitely keep an eye on your mushrooms.
Mushrooms can begin to expire quite quickly and once they have, they’re unsafe to eat as by this point they’ll most likely have produced mold.
When storing mushrooms in the fridge try and keep them as cool and dry as possible, you should remove any plastic packaging otherwise the mushrooms may go bad much quicker as they become too moist.
If mushrooms are dried, then they can last a long 2-3 years but they should be kept out on the counter and not in the fridge.
How long are mushrooms OK in the fridge?
If stored at 34 – 38 F, whole mushrooms last around 7-10 days, and sliced mushrooms around 5-7 days.
Warmer temperatures may mean the mushrooms only last for 2-4 days.
Mushrooms in the fridge generally last around 7-10 days if they’re whole.
Once sliced, the mushroom surface is much more exposed and will usually last for 5-7 days.
You should ensure that the mushrooms are kept as cool and dry as possible, mushrooms stored at room temperatures are more likely to develop bacteria.
Even after sitting out for several hours, fresh mushrooms can become unsafe to eat.
Remove any plastic packaging or even place them in a glass container in order to maximize their shelf life.
Typically, the best temperature for mushrooms to be stored in is 34 – 38 F, if stored at a warmer temperature, they’ll only last for a few days.
After these periods the mushrooms will probably begin to show signs of going off, such as darkening in color or becoming slimy.
At this point, you can choose to cook them and pop them back in the fridge if you plan to use them in the next couple of days.
Once the mushrooms have turned mushy and slimy, they’re no longer safe to eat and should be discarded.
Mushrooms are fungi and not only can go off quickly but once they do, this usually means they have begun to grow mold.
You can freeze mushrooms however it’s best to saute them first then place them in the freezer.
This way you can then use them as and when you need them.
This way, they can be frozen for around a month.
Avoid washing mushrooms before storing them in the fridge as they’ll soak up the excess water and cause humidity, making them spoil much quicker.
You can wash the mushrooms just before using them.
Don’t wash your mushrooms before you put them in the refrigerator.
They will soak up extra water, and the excess humidity will cause them to spoil faster.
Avoid placing the mushrooms near other especially flavorful foods as mushrooms are porous and easily absorb the smell and taste from other foods.
I’m Chris Watson & the Founder of EatForLonger.com. I’m a food and wellbeing enthusiast researching and sharing foodstuffs and simple food-based concepts, such as fasting and clean eating.
I hope it inspires you to make tiny changes to what you eat and when you eat while optimizing your healthspan and all-around well-being.
Read more About Me here.