Mushrooms are a fungi that have been eaten for thousands of years, ever since early civilizations.
Some grow on the ground, while others grow on trees or in soil.
They usually have a round or oval cap and are held up by a stalk or stem.
While mushrooms are a healthy, vitamin-packed addition to any meal, some people are intolerant to mushrooms and can develop stomach problems such as abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
Diarrhea is a condition where a person will have three or more loose, watery bowel movements per day.
It can be caused by various factors such as an infection or food poisoning, but it can also be serious and persistent if it’s because of a virus, bacteria, parasite, or worm.
Acute diarrhea usually lasts between two and four days while chronic diarrhea typically lasts more than two weeks.
There are many preventative measures that can be taken to avoid getting diarrhea from mushrooms or any other vegetables, such as washing hands before eating, using sanitary products when traveling abroad, and avoiding unboiled tap water.
Diarrhea is also a symptom of mushroom toxicity.
If hunting wild mushrooms, never eat mushrooms that you are not 100% sure of.
The use of mushrooms is not limited to cooking and eating, but they are also used for medicinal purposes.
Mushrooms are part of the life cycle because they produce oxygen and help in stabilizing the soil by releasing chemical compounds that break down organic matter into a nutrient-rich material.
Mushrooms have been a staple in traditional Chinese and Japanese cuisine for thousands of years.
They are a meatless option for vegetarians and a protein-rich option for those who avoid consuming animal products.
Mushrooms are well-known for their wonderful flavor and health benefits.
These low-calorie, low-fat mushrooms contain a ton of essential vitamins and minerals that contribute to a balanced diet.
They can be prepared in a whole variety of different recipes to add a flavorful kick!
Crimini mushrooms are a popular type of mushroom that’s used in many homes.
Often overlooked by outsiders, these mushrooms have been given the wrong label as fungi.
Mushrooms are not only a low-calorie food but also contain many health-boosting vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
They’ve long been recognized as an essential part of any diet, saving you loads of calories without sacrificing the nutritional value.
For example, mushrooms exposed to ultraviolet light and grown in a climate free of pollutants contain Vitamin D, which is important for bone and immune health.
Crimini mushrooms supply a good amount of zinc, an essential trace element.
This nutrient helps strengthen the immune system and is also needed for optimal growth in infants and children.
Is it safe to eat mushrooms from the grocery store?
Yes, the mushrooms sold in grocery stores are safe to eat, just like other vegetables and fruits.
However, you’ll need to clean the mushrooms thoroughly and check for spoilage, bugs, or any other contaminants that might make you sick.
The best way to protect yourself from food poisoning is by following common food safety practices such as:
Cleaning mushrooms before you eat them.
If you are not eating the mushrooms immediately, store them in the fridge.
Clean the dirt under the cap of whole mushrooms to kill bacteria or viruses.
Avoid mushrooms with bruising, black spots, slime near the stem, or other signs of spoilage.
A mushroom is a fungus with a stem, cap, and gills. Ideally, never eat mushrooms that appear to be bruised or spoiled, and wash them thoroughly before cooking.
One of the most important things in terms of safety in regards to handling fresh mushrooms is cleaning beneath the cap of all whole mushrooms, where bacteria and viruses may hide.
There are some people who search for and collect wild mushrooms to eat.
That said, the experience these mushroom hunters have in finding safe types is anything but absolute.
Extreme caution should be exercised when hunting wild mushrooms, especially if you are inexperienced.
Even if the mushroom is not poisonous, it could still contain bacteria due to exposure.
The most common mushrooms in the grocery store are the button, cremini, and portobello.
Button mushrooms are very common in dishes because they can be cooked quickly and taste great when grilled, roasted, or used in stews.
Cremini or baby portobello mushrooms have a meatier texture that pairs well with long-cooking dishes like stews, chili, spaghetti sauce, and lasagna because they don’t turn soggy during cooking as button mushrooms do.
Do store-bought mushrooms need to be washed?
Whether they are wild mushrooms or store-bought mushrooms, it is always a good idea to thoroughly wash mushrooms before preparation to remove any dirt, bugs, or bacteria hiding in the cap and stem.
Mushroom farms typically clean their mushrooms with a dry cloth or paper towel.
Cedar, a light wood to which the fungi often cling, is a preferred material for cultivating them.
Some mushrooms are dirtier than others and need a more thorough cleaning.
Wild varieties, like chanterelles or black trumpets, often carry about every type of bug, wood chip, or pine needle that the forest has to offer.
Mushrooms are a powerful source of nutrients and antioxidants.
However, they should be washed before cooking, as bacteria and other contaminants might be hiding in the many folds of their caps, also called the gills.
In addition, if there’s any residue on your hands after handling the dirty mushrooms then you’ll also be contaminating anything else that you touch while cooking or preparing food.
Is it safe to eat unwashed mushrooms?
No. The underside of the caps can contain bacteria that can contaminate your food, even after cooking.
In addition, farmed mushrooms often contain pesticides used in the production process.
And of course, you could be eating bugs!
To ensure that the dirt and bacteria on fresh produce are cleaned away, it should be washed under a running tap before eating.
With the proliferation of organic produce in grocery stores, there is a lot of confusion about whether or not it’s safe to eat unwashed vegetables.
There are conflicting opinions about what can happen when you eat unwashed produce.
Some sources say that the bacteria on the outside of the vegetables will remain on them even after washing, while others claim that bacteria cannot penetrate deep into vegetables like mushrooms.
First of all, mushrooms are grown in the soil and when you wash them off with water, the soil particles can get mixed into the edible part of the mushroom.
Secondly, when you wash off a mushroom with water or brush it with a kitchen towel or sponge, some spores will still be left on the mushroom.
That means if you don’t cut off these parts of the mushroom they can grow and produce more spores which will contaminate your kitchen and may even affect your health.
Finally, if you put unwashed mushrooms in a container for storage, always wash them off with water or brush them with a vegetable peel.
People should be aware of the risks of eating unwashed vegetables, as they can lead to food poisoning.
There are many diseases that come from eating unwashed vegetables such as salmonella and E.coli. These diseases can make the person feel ill and sometimes become fatal.
I’m Chris Watson & the Founder of EatForLonger.com. I’m a food and wellbeing enthusiast researching and sharing foodstuffs and simple food-based concepts, such as fasting and clean eating.
I hope it inspires you to make tiny changes to what you eat and when you eat while optimizing your healthspan and all-around well-being.
Read more About Me here.