Mushrooms can be cooked straight from the freezer as they’re full of water anyway.
Warm-up a skillet, add butter, and once melted add the mushrooms.
Cook the mushrooms until it’s turned a medium-brown color.
Storing frozen mushrooms means you can always whip up some mushrooms whenever the craving hits.
First, you want to warm up a skillet over medium heat.
Heating it empty makes it easy for the fat to spread and makes it less likely for it to stick.
Add butter to the skillet and swirl it around to ensure the butter spreads evenly.
Cook until the butter is no longer foaming and it smells a little nut-like.
Remember, room temperature butter will melt a lot faster and much less likely to burn.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet, you don’t need to thaw the mushrooms before using them.
This is because mushrooms naturally have a lot of water and the small bits of ice won’t make a big difference.
Stir regularly and cook the mushrooms until most of the liquid has gone.
At this point, you can add the shallots and cook for a few minutes.
You’ll know the mushrooms are done when there is no apparent moisture, the mushrooms have darkened and the shallots are translucent.
You don’t want the mushrooms to turn black, instead, they should be medium-brown.
If they’re black, this means the mushrooms have burnt.
Garnish the mushrooms and service, you can garnish with fresh parsley or any other herb to your liking.
Mushrooms should be cooked well to break down the tough cell walls so your body can digest it properly.
You should cook mushrooms until they’re medium-brown and the moisture is no longer visible.
Mushrooms that are undercooked may still be very raw.
Many people avoid consuming raw mushrooms due to a variety of reasons.
But lots of edible mushrooms can be eaten raw, some enjoy adding raw mushrooms to their salads, for example.
Undercooked mushrooms may be difficult to consume due to their tough cell walls.
Mushroom cell walls contain chitin, which the body has a hard time breaking down.
This is why you might find that after consuming even cooked mushrooms, mushrooms do not digest fully in your body.
The chitin breaks down during the cooking process and whilst you chew.
If you do eat raw on undercooked mushrooms, you should ensure that you chew very well.
Many people have a habit of eating too quickly or not chewing enough times.
This may not be enough to help your body digest the mushrooms properly so it’s best to know that you should be cooking your mushrooms thoroughly.
If you have prior digestive issues, eating undercooked mushrooms can worsen these issues.
If you don’t have digestive problems you might find that you don’t have issues even eating raw mushrooms.
If you find that after eating mushrooms, you face issues, you should ensure you’re cooking them well and chewing enough times.
There are a few different ways to cook mushrooms including sautéing.
You want to make sure you use a wide enough skillet as this way you can spread the mushrooms into a single layer, this allows them to heat up thoroughly and for any moisture to evaporate.
Some people suggest not washing them prior to washing as this can add more water into the already very wet mushrooms.
You can either wipe them clean or wash them and allow them to dry before using them.
Make sure you don’t wash them before storing in the fridge or freezer as this can cause them to go off much quicker.
Can you get sick from undercooked mushrooms?
You might suffer from digestive distress if you have digestive issues as the chitin in the mushroom cell walls can cause issues.
Some warn against eating raw or undercooked mushrooms due to the presence of the naturally-occurring toxin agaritine.
But this toxin doesn’t seem to be as dangerous as once thought and its levels decrease both through cooking and being stored.
Many people warn against eating raw or undercooked mushrooms due to a naturally-occurring toxin in mushrooms called agaritine.
Agaritine is deactivated when cooked so many suggestions to heat-treat mushrooms before consuming.
Mice studies one shows that agaritine was carcinogenic but later studies, where mice were given agaritine laced water, did not suffer any harm.
Research now shows that this toxin is not as harmful as we may have once thought.
Plus, agaritine also breaks down when stored.
So, when purchasing your mushrooms, they’ll most likely have barely any agaritine as they’ll have been in storage for a few days before you purchased them.
Mushroom cells walls contain chitin, which is hard for the body to break down.
This chitin can cause chaos within your digestive system as your body struggles to break it down.
This is one reason that you might be best cooking your mushrooms thoroughly.
Another way to combat this chitin is to ensure that you’re chewing your food well, not chewing your food enough times means this chitin might not break down properly.
If you don’t have any digestive issues, you might find that you have no issues eating undercooked or raw mushrooms.
In fact, you may even choose to have your mushrooms a little undercooked because that’s your preference.
If you notice that you’re having issues after eating raw or undercooked mushrooms, it’s best to make sure they’re being cooked well and that you’re chewing enough times.
What happens if you eat not fully cooked mushrooms?
Eating mushrooms that aren’t fully cooked can cause some digestive distress.
This is due to the chitin, contained in the tough cell walls of mushrooms, which the body struggles to break down.
Cooking mushrooms thoroughly and chewing your food well can help prevent this.
Mushroom cell walls contain chitin, which the body finds hard to digest.
Cooking breaks down this chitin, so when it’s not fully cooked you might find that your digestion suffers a little.
Chitin creates the tough mushroom cell walls, making them strong and providing them with the strength to push through rocks and leaves.
The chitin is why mushrooms have that unique meaty texture.
Various mushrooms have different amounts of chitin, for example, portobello mushrooms have around 8% chitin when raw.
When mushrooms are cooked, the chitin level decreases but the dietary fiber increases.
In fact, chitin is the reason why mushrooms are such a good source of dietary fiber.
Cooking mushrooms well helps to break down the chitin to prevent any digestive distress.
If you find that mushrooms are still not digesting properly or are causing issues even when being cooked, you may want to make sure you’re chewing your mushrooms well.
Chewing mushrooms helps break down the chitin even further and is one of the best ways to help the process.
Many people have a habit of not chewing properly or enough times, be mindful of this and you might notice a big difference in how well your body digests mushrooms.
I’m Chris Watson & the Founder of EatForLonger.com. I’m a food and wellbeing enthusiast researching and sharing foodstuffs and simple food-based concepts, such as fasting and clean eating.
I hope it inspires you to make tiny changes to what you eat and when you eat while optimizing your healthspan and all-around well-being.
Read more About Me here.